Stephen King's Revival

I love to read. However, I do not make the time to since I feel it is too indulgent and I have other pressing things to attend too. When I do make time, I tend to read several books at time and never seem to get to the end of any of them. Sadly, as an aspiring writer, I need to make time to read more. Finish more.

Anyone that is a friend of mine on Goodreads (joined to keep me focused) or anyone that knows me at all - knows I am a huge Stephen King fan. Not the fan that can recite everything he says or writes. I don't even know that much about him other than he likes to play in a band with fellow authors when he is not writing. Still, something draws me to his writings.

I own several of his books but have not read all of them. One of my goals this year is to read all that I own before purchasing anymore books by him or anyone else. We will see how that progresses... My other goal is to expand my reading to other authors, which I have done... sort of.

So, I just finished Revival. 

What drew me to this book was the name itself. Okay, and the fact that my literary hero wrote it.

Stephen King has a knack for pulling one into his stories and this novel is no exception. While at first it may seem a little daunting since the protagonist's experiences, with his small town pastor, span from the age of 7 to 61. This is necessary for the story and you will not be disappointed, trust me.

I have to worn you if you are a religious person, some entries may seem to be blasphemous. They are not ended to be. I believe the intent was to shed light on how humans view God and question why bad things happen to good people. Is faith really enough? Is there more to the story of life that cannot be answered simply from The Word? What draws individuals to believe in a higher power?

"Think all you want and pray all you like. Maybe you'll have better luck than I ever did...although I really doubt it." 
- Reverend Jacobs

While I did not find this novel scary by any means, some of the texts were jarring. He touched on topics that surprised me.

It is an amazing read and I highly suggest you check it out.

If you are a Stephen King fan, if you have not already, you need to get this book and start it right away.



If you have had the pleasure of reading Revival, what was your impression? How did you make you feel, deep down?

How would you rate it against his other work?




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I ~ INXS

C ~ (The) Cars

B ~ Beetlejuice