Arguing In the Street




When I first moved to Midtown I had a great flat practically right in the center of all the action. I could walk across the street and enjoy the best Mexican restaurant in the city or take in a dinner and a show a block away. Bars everywhere!

On hot nights, since my apartment didn't have the best air conditioning, I would sleep in the living room with the front door ajar (security screen locked) and the windows open to bring in a nice cross breeze. 

Unfortunately, having the door and windows opened not only brought in the breeze but the noise from the local night life - people laughing and having a great time. On one particular night or should I say, early morning, I was rudely awakened by a couple arguing in the middle of the street. It sounded like they were right in my living room. 

"You were looking at her!", the girl was yelling. "No babe... it wasn't like that." replied the exasperated boyfriend. It seemed like they had been at it forever and it was clear it wouldn't be over soon. She would not be convinced that her boyfriend was being truthful. I couldn't take it any longer. I had an early meeting and needed some sleep.

Since my security gate made it almost impossible to see into my apartment, I stood by the door and yelled. "He WAS looking at her and she was ugly. Now shut up and go home!" All of the sudden, silence. Sweet silence.

"I KNEW IT!!!", screamed the girlfriend. Then in a very calm voice I could hear her date say, "Babe, I promise. Besides, I don't think she was even there." I did everything I could to restrain from laughter. They finally found their car and I found my bed.

What is the moral of this story? If you are in the middle of the street at 2am screaming at your date and a voice out of nowhere confirms or denies your assumptions, most likely it's not true. They just want to go back to sleep. 

Also, if you move to the center of the city, invest in ear plugs.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I ~ INXS

C ~ (The) Cars

B ~ Beetlejuice