Out of the (Broom) Closet ~ Does Stevie Nicks Have It Right?

Bewitched aired in 1964 Of course by the time I was old enough to watch it the show was in syndication. I love that show! 


Sam's sister Serena, mother Endora, and who can forget her father Maurice? 






Uncle Arthur was my favorite!

  



Charmed aired in 1998  Don't care. Didn't watch it and never will.

Since then there have been several movies about witches. Witches of Eastwick (one of my all time favorites), Practical Magic, The Craft...too many to list.

The fascination with witches and witchcraft is centuries old. It has seen some dark times. Salem Witch Hunts for example. Innocents burned at the stake for being witches. Heretics if you will.

Today, well today the television is filled with shows about modern day witches. 

Witches of East End-Lifetime's answer to what happened to the girls from Charmed. Have I seen it? No. Will I? No.

Then there is.....


American Horror Story's Coven.

The 'White Witch' herself, Stevie Nicks, made a guest appearance. For years it has be rumored that Ms. Nicks is indeed a witch. She publicly came out and denied the rumors. Now, while I would never call out Ms. Nicks for being a liar, she does possess an element of enchantment. What caught my attention was when she asked the interviewer if it would matter if the rumors were true. 

Ya, it would.



Our society, as "progressive" as we may think, has proven time and time again to be the opposite. 

Bigotry still reigns true for culture, sexual orientation, and spiritual views. Just because witchcraft is all the rage right now doesn't mean it is accepted. It's being glamorized. Entertainment. 

While others are coming out of the "broom" closet daily proclaiming their freedom of religion and dispelling (pun intended) the misconceptions of witches, is it wise? 



Intense silence
As she walked in the room
Her black robes trailing
Sister of the moon

And a black widow spider makes
More sound than she
And black moons in those eyes of hers
Made more sense to me

Heavy persuasion
It was hard to breathe
She was dark at the top of the stairs
And she called to me

And so I followed as friends often do
I cared not for love nor money
And I think she knew
Well, the people, they love her
And still they are the most cruel

She asked me, "Be my sister
Sister, sister of the moon"

Some call her sister of the moon
Some say, illusions are her game
They like to wrap her in velvet
Does anyone, ooh, know her name?


~ Fleetwood Mac/Sisters of the Moon







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I ~ INXS

C ~ (The) Cars

B ~ Beetlejuice